Barber chairs are an integral part of any barbershop. They not only provide a comfortable seating arrangement for clients but also offer various functionalities that make the barber’s job easier. One of the essential components of a barber chair is the hydraulic system that allows it to adjust its height effortlessly.
In this article, we will focus on one of the most trusted and iconic brands in the barber chair industry – Koken. Koken barber chairs are known for their exceptional craftsmanship, durability, and smooth hydraulic operation. To ensure the longevity and optimal functioning of these chairs, it is crucial to use the right fluid in their hydraulic systems.
Understanding Hydraulic Fluids for Barber Chairs
Hydraulic fluids are specially designed liquids that transmit power by creating pressure in the hydraulic system. They play a vital role in the smooth operation and longevity of barber chairs. When selecting a hydraulic fluid for a Koken barber chair, there are a few key factors to consider:
1. Viscosity: The viscosity of a fluid refers to its thickness or resistance to flow. Hydraulic fluids for barber chairs typically have a medium viscosity, allowing for smooth and controlled movement without excessive friction or leaks.
2. Compatibility: It is crucial to choose a hydraulic fluid that is compatible with the materials used in the hydraulic system of Koken barber chairs. Using incompatible fluids can cause degradation, leaks, or even complete failure of the system.
3. Temperature Range: Barber chairs are often exposed to varying temperature conditions. Therefore, it is important to select a hydraulic fluid that can withstand a wide range of temperatures, ensuring optimal performance in both hot and cold climates.
Recommended Hydraulic Fluid for Koken Barber Chairs
When it comes to Koken barber chairs, the manufacturer recommends using a high-quality mineral hydraulic oil with ISO 32 viscosity. This type of hydraulic fluid provides excellent lubrication, maintains stability in different temperatures, and enhances the overall performance of the hydraulic system.
It is important to note that Koken specifically advises against using any hydraulic fluids that contain solvents, vegetable oils, or additives. These substances can potentially damage the hydraulic system and compromise the chair’s functionality.
How to Replace Hydraulic Fluid in a Koken Barber Chair
Regular maintenance and replacement of hydraulic fluid are essential to keep your Koken barber chair operating smoothly. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
1. Gather the necessary tools and equipment: You will need a suitable container to drain the old fluid, a hand pump or syringe for refilling, and a new bottle of the recommended hydraulic fluid.
2. Locate the hydraulic reservoir: The reservoir is typically located at the base of the chair or beneath the seat. Carefully remove any panels or covers to access it.
3. Drain the old fluid: Place the container underneath the drain plug or outlet. Unscrew the plug or disconnect the outlet, allowing the old fluid to drain completely. It is important to dispose of the used fluid properly, as it may contain contaminants.
4. Refill with fresh hydraulic fluid: Using a hand pump or syringe, carefully fill the reservoir with the recommended hydraulic fluid. Take care not to overfill, as this can lead to leaks or other issues.
5. Bleed the system: Once the reservoir is filled, it is essential to bleed any air bubbles from the system. This can be done by operating the chair up and down a few times or using a bleed valve if provided.
6. Check for leaks and test functionality: After replacing the hydraulic fluid, thoroughly check the system for any signs of leaks. Then, test the chair’s functionality by adjusting its height multiple times to ensure smooth operation.
Maintenance Tips for Koken Barber Chairs
To ensure the longevity and optimal performance of your Koken barber chair, here are some maintenance tips:
1. Regularly inspect the hydraulic system for leaks, loose fittings, or signs of wear. Address any issues promptly to prevent further damage.
2. Clean and lubricate the moving parts of the chair periodically to prevent rust and maintain smooth operation.
3. Avoid using excessive force when adjusting the chair’s height or other functionalities. Gentle and controlled movements will extend the chair’s lifespan.
4. Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines regarding weight limits for the chair. Overloading the chair may lead to premature wear of the hydraulic system.
5. Schedule regular maintenance checks with a professional technician who specializes in barber chair repairs. They can identify any potential issues before they escalate into major problems.
Choosing the right hydraulic fluid and performing regular maintenance are key aspects of maintaining the performance and longevity of your Koken barber chair. By following the manufacturer’s recommendations and guidelines outlined in this article, you can ensure smooth operation and provide a comfortable experience for both you and your clients. Make sure to always prioritize safety and consult a professional if you encounter any issues with your barber chair’s hydraulic system.